Who should attend
The CITB’s Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) is designed for site managers, agents and persons who are, or are about to be, responsible for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff and workforce.
Pre-Requisites - The minimum entry equipment is a good understanding of spoken and written English
The Aim of the course
This SMSTS course is designed to enable managers to help site managers, agents and supervisors to:
• Manage health and safety on-site in accordance with current legal provisions, and within the context of their management or supervisory role.
• Develop an understanding of responsibilities and accountability for site health, safety and welfare.
• Recognise that a safe site is efficient, economical and productive.
The SMSTS course content includes:
• Introduction to health and safety law, duties, responsibilities, enforcement and sanctions.
• Overviews/explanations of relevant construction activity legislation.
• Accident costs, causes, investigation, prevention and reporting requirements.
• Risk assessment and principles of prevention'.
• Safety management systems, policies, plans, performance and measuring.
• Management of Contractors.
• Development of safe systems of work' and permit systems.
• Effective communicating.
• Behavioural science including awareness of human error.
• Motivating safety behaviour:
• Recognition of an organisation's duties and responsibilities.
• Recognition of responsibilities of Managers, Supervisors and Operatives.
• Production of site activity instructions (safe system of work).
• Planning for health and safety within the context of a project.
By the end of the Site Management Safety Training (SMSTS) course, delegates will be aware of and be able to:
• Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which effects them during their daily work.
• Implement new guidance and industry best practice.
• State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
Our SMSTS course if a classroom-based course. It has a mixture of discussions, best practice sharing, syndicate exercises and case studies which will be supplemented with video and classroom based tutorials.
Delegates will be required to compile and present their understanding of how to comply with current legislation for assessment; Ongoing assessment of delegates’ understanding of the course throughout the course will be undertaken in order to best prepare them for the end of course multiple-choice examination.
CITB Construction Site Managers Safety Certificate (valid for 5 years) will be awarded to delegates who successfully complete their SMSTS course, including the final examination.